History

 

The Falmouth Land Trust was started in 1981 by a small group of citizens committed to protecting open space in Falmouth to help preserve the rural character of the community.  Since then, trustees have helped preserve over 1200 acres of land in Falmouth, with much of this available for public access via an extensive trail network.  In early 2010, a small group of trustees and Falmouth citizens committed themselves to developing a trail system that runs from Portland to Cumberland, touching many of the parcels protected by the Trust’s work.